Can is the most commonly used modal verb. While it has many different uses, the most common use is to denote ability. Let’s look at some examples:
- I can speak four different languages fluently.
- Your cat can jump really high!
- They can design your website.
Another way in which can is commonly used is to ask for permission in an informal way.
- Can I borrow your blue dress?
Finally, can, when negated, can be used to describe something unbelievable.
- You can’t be breaking up with me on my birthday!