I have never struggled with sleep. In fact, sometimes I think I sleep too much. Sleep affects everything from mood to appetite. Getting an average of eight hours of sleep a night is recommended. Here are some tips to help you sleep:
- Stop using technology at least an hour before bed. The blue light from our phones stops the production of melatonin, a hormone which makes you tired. If you need to use your phone, use a “night-time” setting. This will lower the amount of blue light.
- Wind down. Going straight from work to sleep is difficult. Instead do slower activities before bed. Cleaning up, watching TV, or reading a book are all good options.
- Try meditating before bed. There are countless articles on the benefits of meditation, but meditating before bed is especially beneficial if you have trouble sleeping. It clears the mind and connects you to your body.
- Set the ambiance. Lighting an essential oil or candle, with a scent like lavender, is another way to help you relax. There are teas with herbs like valerian which help you fall asleep.
- Do you have trouble falling asleep? Explain.
- What do you like to do before going to bed?