In less than three months, a disease transformed into a pandemic infecting thousands of people around the world. The pace at which everything- from work to social life- has changed is anxiety inducing, to say the least. The Coronavirus has many uncertainties surrounding it. Here are some tips for keeping your anxiety at bay.
- Limit your news intake: While learning more about the current situation of the virus might answer some questions, it may also be adding to your stress. Reading an article every day is enough to stay informed. Don’t go down a rabbit hole after reading headlines about projected number of cases or deaths.
- Take time for self-care: Most people are social distancing and staying at home. If you have newfound pockets of extra time, practice self-care. This may come in the form of a face mask, meditation, yoga, or listening to your favorite band. Take time every day to do something that makes you happy.
- Stay productive: If you have a job which has been transferred online, it is easier to stay productive. If you don’t, it may be harder. Are there tasks around the house that you have been putting off? Is there a subject you wanted to learn more about, but never had the time? Staying productive will put your time to good use and will make you feel better.
- Get some fresh air: It’s easy to get cabin fever when you are staying at home. Go to your backyard or balcony to get some fresh air. Consider running or walking in your neighborhood while maintaining at least six-feet distance away from people. Don’t forget to wash your hands when you get back home.
- Connect with your family and friends: People around the world are all in the same situation. Take time to check in with your family and friends. A phone call or video call will allow you to make sure that they are okay and taking necessary precautions.